Overcoming Obesity

Monday, April 12, 2010

Magical Disappearing Act

Where do I begin? It seems as though it has been ages since I have blogged or SPARKED. I feel off balance, like I am missing something. The good news is that I haven't fallen off the deep end or even off the wagon, life has been crazy lately. So to clear the air, I am still working towards my goals but I definitely need to re-center myself.

As many of you know, my journey began in January with a desire to overcome obesity. I didn't know how I would do it, I just knew I wanted to do something to become healthier and I was going to blog all about it. As I began, I hadn't committed to anything other than blogging and as the days and weeks went on, I realized that the changes I was making in my life were lifestyle changes, no quick fixes, just good old fashioned healthy eating and exercise, I took off and soar. I have learned so many things about myself that I would have never imagined possible. If anyone in their right mind would have told me that in 3 months time that I could tackle a 10 mile hike or a 5 mile bike ride, I would have laughed in their face but today, I know it is possible. One of the biggest turning points for me was realizing that my journey to overcome obesity is all about me, putting myself first, taking control of my health and embracing change and the unknown. I jumped in feet first and didn't look back (thanks to support of my blog supporters and my SPARK friends, love you guys!)

Everything has been going great but slowly, I found myself getting further from SPARK and my blog. It started last month, between going out of town, Spring Break, my nephew being stabbed, emergency oral surgeries (which, I haven't mentioned it, but I will be having two more surgeries over then next two weeks, UGH!) well, Life, it happens and well, you have to deal with it.

With everything going on, I haven't been online, I haven't tracked my food and I haven't been able to workout due to Dr's orders and well, sutures in my mouth. On Sunday, I was finally able to get out and enjoy a great 8 mile hike with my girlfriend (thanks Rai, loved it) and that really helped!!! It felt so good to get out and do something not to mention, it relieved some major stress :) I am so ready to hit the gym again and get back on track with my exercise. The bad news, is it will be awhile, I have a few more surgeries and I know, I will have to take things very slowly.

The good news is that I realize, putting my health first also means, following the Dr's orders and well, taking care of my dental issues is part of putting my health first. So things will slow down for a while but overall, I still am making good choices, I am eating healthy and I recognize, this is not the end, my healthy lifestyle continues, I am just driving through a school zone right now.... taking things slow.

I spent sometime reflecting and I recognized that I was spending so much of my time tracking calories, exercising, SPARKING; and blogging that honestly, stopping for a few days was almost like vacation but now it has been almost two weeks which could easily turn to 3 and even 4 or 5. I can't let that happen. I honestly realize that I feel completely off balance: my energy levels are different, my state of mind, my stress levels... its just out of wack. In this, I realize, I really am making a lifestyle change because I do feel off. That is saying something, my body wants physical activity... I am really in the middle of making a lifestyle change.

I am going in on Wednesday for another surgery and then next week I will have my final surgery (I HOPE, cross your fingers) so I know I will continue to be limited on what I can do over the next 2 or 3 weeks. What I do commit to doing is going back to the basics, counting calories, tracking EVERYTHING, and getting in atleast 10 minutes of activity a day which for now, it will probably be just walking but as I tell others, every little step counts!

I shared this with my girlfriend this weekend and she said something, "Shit happens but at the end of the day, you still have goals that you are working towards, so what are you going to do?"

So, its the end of the day and my health is still my priority. This is not a gimmick, this is my life and my health, I am in this for the long run no matter what obstacles may come my way. 2010 is my year and I am rock'n it!

5 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back, I have been reading your blogs and am on a Journey as well (Spark) Sorry to hear about your oral issues (I too had that problem last month and it was a PIA.

    Keep up the great work and the great blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back girl!! Don't disappear on us like that again! I was worried!! Sorry about the oral surgeries...I know that's gotta' suck big time. Sometimes things happen and you do have to cruise along for a bit, like with the exercise, but I'm glad to hear you're back to tracking everything....that is crucial, because it's so easy to let things slip away from you. Good to hear from you again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can comment again!!! WOOHOOO!
    Life does throw you off at times, but I'm sure glad to see you haven't fallen off! I believe in you and know you can do it!!! Way to go! Really good to hear from you again! Hope the surgeries go well and you heal quickly!! :)

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're back! Up til a week ago, I felt the same way as you describe. Something was off and I was barely maintaining my healthy choices. But since then I've done better. It's a great step for you to blog again and get support.

    I hope everything goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job rededicating yourself

    ReplyDelete